Yesterday my friend Gloria (who loves to grocery shop as much as I do) took me on a field trip to the Asian markets, one of which is just 3 miles from my house, uh oh. Check out my goodies! Clockwise from top left: lavender green tea (I love lavender anything), lemongrass, white miso, jackfruit in syrup (Zoeya and I tried today, yum!), silken tofu, dried shrimp, pickled mustard greens and dried seaweed (I also bought some jasmine water I forgot to put in the picture). I see lots of Asian food experiments coming in 2012; we are already investigating how to make bulgogi.
2011 is drawing to a close. In a lot of ways 2011 was productive, but in other ways it was just laying the ground work. I have good feelings about 2012 and am motivated to make things happen and move our lives forward.
I love New Years resolutions. I am definitely not in the camp that says “I don’t make resolutions because I never keep them, it’s just discouraging, blah blah…” That annoys me, if you want to keep them, just keep them! Every year I make a giant list for myself. An old boyfriend saw it once and told me “I had no idea there were so many things you didn’t like about yourself.” That’s not the point at all! I love everything about myself, but I also have so much potential, and no one ever becomes better by staying the same.
- In 2011 I started a new job. This year I want to flourish in work. I go through hot and cold spells in regards to everything, web design included, and right now I feel very inspired.
- In 2011 I paid off our debt (inherited through marriage of course, haha). This year I want to save, especially for Zoeya’s future.
- In 2011 I started to green our life in big ways. You guys, I stopped washing my hair with shampoo. I’m almost ready to talk about it. I want to do even more this year, as well as simplifying.
- In 2011 I had the saddest loss. This year I feel brave enough to try again.
- In 2011 I cooked my ass off. This year I want to cook even more. More Indian and Pakistani dishes, more vegetarian dishes, more homemade condiments, more witchy dishes, and just becoming more organized about everything.
And of course all the usual stuff – do more yoga, drink less coffee, spend more time outside with little Zoeya, have more dates with my sweet husband. This year’s giant list includes Big Food List 2012, a bunch of things I want to make throughout the year.
I wish everyone a Happy New Year, may it be the best year (so far) of our lives!